Friday, April 12, 2019

27A – Reading Reflection No. 3


1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?

The general argument of the book is that failure is inevitable and success can still occur, regardless of failure, if proper skills and mindsets are learned. 

2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?

This book connected with what I am in learning in ENT3003 because it shared some tips on coming out resilient and successful from failure. This book discussed growth and continued learning. For example, one of the teachings of this book was to understand that some—and possibly most—people you interact with will lack common sense and rationality. There were many teachings in this book that expressed the need to remain focused and organized. 

3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?

I would make an exercise that requires students to review three of the teachings in the book and discuss personal experiences that align or don’t in their life. For example, for the section discussing feedback a student could discuss that they have withheld compliments in the past simply because it would be misplaced or awkward. A followup question for the assignment would be to explain if they think the teaching is valuable and if they plan on implementing it in their daily lives.

4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?

I think the biggest surprise was when the topic of changing your perception was discussed. In todays society, people tend to shame those who change their opinions rather than applaud their growth and intellectual journeys. I found it to be quite surprising that this was taught as a positive in the book. I tend to agree, but in politics, in academics, etc., people seem to disapprove of this.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the theme of the book that failure is inevitable, but success can still occur regardless of failure as I saw it occur with Andrew Carnegie. Despite his company is a great success throughout the years, there was still some failures that occurred that he had to get through and with his skills was able to weather through the failures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you included a small summary of this book or name just to help me understand the reflection, however, it is very well written! You clearly took useful information from the reading. I think your class activity is very original and beneficial. How do you feel about constructive criticism? I think its hard to maintain a clear and positive mindset while being criticized, but this book obviously does a great job in explaining strategies on how to. For your fourth question, do you agree that changing your opinions is growth? I think change represents growth and improvement.

    ReplyDelete