Students in college are struggling to develop friendships early in their academic year because there is not a third party bridge that facilitates meeting platonic friends.
Of the five interviews I conducted, 4/5 subjects expressed that they had difficulty making friends with college at the start. All five of them mentioned that there have been times in the span of their college career that they have been lonely, wishing they had a new friend. One person in particular highlighted that they hoped that friend was someone not in their current immediate circle or social life. All the five subjects also said that their solution was to join a new club. One subject noted that for immediate social interaction, they turned to the existing dating apps Tinder and Bumble. Three subjects expressed that they like to make friendships with similar and different interests, while two subjects preferred friends with similar interests. Three also expressed that they often meet people with their same interests, while two said not often. In response to where people meet peers with the same major, four mentioned in class, three mentioned in clubs, and one mentioned in the dorms. When asked if they feel satisfied with their current way of meeting people with the same interests/major, two responded "I guess" and three responded that they are not. All subjects had similar means of meeting friends: class, clubs, friends from high school, and "luck."
From these interviews, I learned that this opportunity exists. However, it is crucial to present the product in a very sensitive way. The tone of interviewees was uneasy, as lack of human connection tends to be associated with being lame or uncool. I did learn that these people tend to turn to clubs and dating apps to fill this void. I learned from these interviews that subjects were looking for friends not only with the same major, but also those who have similar interests.
College can be a lonely place for anyone starting off. I myself knew no one when I first started but through going out or joining different groups throughout campus it became easier and easier to make friends. I believe the opportunities are already there. But from your interviews it seems like your idea could help a lot of students starting out find a place to start.
ReplyDeleteAs sad as it is to say, the lack of socialization in college represents a bright opportunity. The interview responses don't strike me as all that surprising, as many people I've known throughout my time at UF have expressed this same sentiment. The void you describe in these student's lives could definitely be filled with a proper solution that tailors to that social need.
ReplyDeleteI believe coming into college is an opportunity to express yourself, come out of your comfort zone, meet new people and open gateways to the future. For some people it just comes naturally to make connections and meet people and for others, its a little more difficult, which is completely okay! It definitely difficult to get out of that comfort zone and put yourself in a position to be almost vulnerable.
ReplyDelete