UNIMEET
The Opportunity:
College students across the nation are struggling to make friends in an increasingly digital age. Because of this, they are forced to join Greek Life with high costs or wait for new semesters and classes to meet people. This market exists in all college campuses and exists mainly among women, but men are included. Customers are loyal to Greek Life, if they are a part of it. This opportunity is big, as it hits millions of students. This window of opportunity will be open until someone creates a solution.
The Innovation:
Unimeet, my solution to this issue, is an online college student friendship app. It allows users to meet each other, dating app style, by swiping and chatting. Profit will be generating by using advertisements and by having local restaurant/business sponsored events. For example, an escape room can host a discount "unimeet-up" and have people meet there in person for the first time for safety purposes.
The Venture Concept:
My app will solve the opportunity I identified because it helps college students make friends. Advertisers will pay to promote on this app because they are able to target people based off of their location, which is incredibly valuable for advertisers. I believe customers will use this product because of the way dating apps have become normalized. The competitors are existing general friend apps, like Bumble's friend setting and TinderU. These apps, though, having a dating foundation, which make people skeptical of the users' intentions. The User Interface and marketing is most important for the business concept, as it will likely be the core of the business's success/failure. I would start this business with myself and two others, each being a developer and a market researcher.
My most important resource will be my background in social media marketing, as it can be useful for driving users to the app. While it can be copied by hiring a social media marketer, my extensive experience will make it hard to copy our exact methods.
The next opportunity would be to expand internationally and reach campuses across the globe.
In five years, I hope to have expanded and then sell this business to an existing social media app like Facebook and Twitter.
In five years I hope my venture has not failed and exists on all major college campuses across the nation. As an entrepreneur, I hope to be learning, growing, and creating in the next decade, which means I will make sure I do what it takes to make my venture unique and successful.
I feel like the opportunity that you have identified definitely exists, but the problem that I am mainly seeing is how you are going to make profits from it. I understand that the main goal to make money is going to be to sell it to Twitter or Facebook, but in the meantime you have to find a way to keep it running so that you can continue to pay of employees and build up equity. Even if it becomes very popular, Facebook / Twitter will only pay what it's worth plus extra goodwill, which will be not a lot if you have no equity.
ReplyDeleteassets*
DeletePersonally, I see fraternities and sororities as a way for someone to pay for friends. Theres usually a long process with rushing and the prices are incredibly expensive. Many students who aren't very out there may feel like this is the only option to gain for sure friends. There, I think this product definitely does solve an issue that is real.
ReplyDeleteLike the comments before me, I am a little concerned with the ability to make money through this app. While advertising is always a route, an app with simple uses would get clogged with so many ads. I think you could look into collaborating with other business that target the same customer base and meet similar needs. I think the idea is great and I think you do a great job in explaining how the opportunity will benefit the customers. Your app could also be used on things other than college. Maybe look into expanding your app to another audience? Im not sure what that audience would be, but it would be interesting to see if you could use this technology elsewhere. Great work!
ReplyDelete