Monday, April 8, 2019
26A – Celebrating Failure
I continuously failed in my calculus class this semester. As much as I tried, I couldn't do well on my quizzes, even though I passed all the exams, luckily. Of the 9 quizzes so far, I got many Ds and Cs. I learned from this that I am not able to control everything. No matter how much I study— and trust me, I spent hours studying every week for this— I cannot control things outside of my range. From this I learned the importance of having faith in your abilities and not being disappointed in myself so often. Failure, in my opinion, is inevitable. You cannot, no matter how much you try, never fail. I have now learned to handle failure as a consequence of trying at all. If I didn't do anything, I could never fail, so I'm bringing it upon myself for wanting to do something in this world. This class helped me realize that I have to accept this to be the case. I do believe I am more likely to take a risk now than before taking this class, but only if it is a reasonable one with high chances of resulting positively.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's important to understand that a good portion of the time failure is not in our control and can be caused be outside circumstances. With this in mind, it's also important to understand why you fail and how to avoid the mistakes or pitfalls you fall in in the future. You can't always change the circumstances you're in that cause you to fail, but you can learn from them and try to avoid them later on.
ReplyDeleteI think its good to keep a positive mindset on this. I, too, failed several times in one of my classes and its hard not to get down on yourself. Passing the exams obviously shows you knew the material so failing these quizzes wasn't much of a determining factor on your knowledge. It is helpful to go back and look at your fails, figuring out where you went wrong and why. I'm not sure if failing effects my ability to take risks, just the feelings after. You should take every opportunity as if it is your first. Great work!
ReplyDelete