From my research and interviews, I learned their need happens mainly when they see the social media lives of people they follow. It also can happen when in class, at an event/party where they don’t know anyone, etc. Nighttimes have been a common time where the need arises, as they get lonely when they have time to think after working/studying all day and are in bed watching Netflix or have nothing to do. Shockingly, the immediate response to feeling sad after looking at social media is to continue looking. This is quite self-deprecating, but its what they claimed happens. To meet people, they often wait for “fate” or a new semester, hoping they make a friend the first week of class. One person even opened up to me claiming they’ve researched “how to make friends” on Google.
From this, I learned that my target market needs to feel comfortable on the app. To do this, it is important to find a way to ease “the first move” on the app to be less awkward and more of a fun icebreaker.
I selected the segment of “unpopular,” which initially sounds quite rude, however, as someone who has fallen under this segment my whole life, I see it less offensive and more as factual. Identifying the typical “unpopular” person relied on heavy stereotyping, which I hate to do in the real world. For the sake of this assignment, I will keep interviewee’s names anonymous for this reason.
I believe this is an issue many people face and can relate to. Meeting people can be intimidating and difficult for some. You have done a very good job with the market segment that you chose. I'm sure when you would actually sell the idea or product, you would have to come up with a more politically correct name, but as of now, I think we all understand what you mean. I am sure there are many studies that support people's need for community and friendship. Though considered a vital part of the mental state, it doesn't come easy to everyone. Finding a way to bridge the gap and make these bonds happen would be revolutionary.
ReplyDeleteHey Nicole,
ReplyDeleteI think this is a great idea but you didn't include your interviews which could have been very informative. I liked the excerpts you gave especially the google search one they give a sense of urgency to the matter. I also liked that you were able to take away valuable incite from these interviews in order to better form the app to your audience
This is definitely a major issue not just at college, but all throughout elementary school to high school as well. There are definitely kids that are not as social as others, and definitely could benefit with this app. One suggestion, I would make, is to maybe group them into a group called "minimally social" or something along those lines. This would just make it seem a little less harsh to your target audience.
ReplyDelete