Friday, February 22, 2019

13A – Reading Reflection No. 1


I was mainly surprised at the way Gordy came across in his book. Most of the books I’ve read by entertainment industry moguls have a more serious tone. I admired his tenacity and resilience as an entrepreneur. I least admired his reasoning for entering the music scene- for fame and girls. Gordy did encounter lots of adversity; however, he kept forward, working with other artists. 
His main competency was in elocution and social skills. 
I was a bit confused with Gordy’s explanation of his decision to sell his company, which he then decided against.
I would ask Berry how he discovered such incredible talent and how to encourage his employees and artists to keep going in a tough industry because as someone who aspires to own a record label one day, these questions are ones I feel would benefit my entrepreneurial endeavors. 
I think hard work for Gordy was just second nature, something that came from his core and was necessary. I feel the same way.

2 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with the book that you read but it seems that it was a perfect match for you, as you have the desire to go into music. It seems that "hard work" is mandatory when being an entrepreneur. I believe reaching any big goal is different and you have to accept that you may not reach it in the first attempt, but you have to keep fighting for it until you make it. To see that you were not happy with the decision to sell the label really surprised me because I believed that was always the end goal. To build an empire and then sell it, make good money, and then collect checks in the mail for the rest of your life. There are some that want to pass an empire of legacy down to their children and give their children a better start in their professional careers and I applaud this also.
    I wish you success in your path to starting and owning your own music label.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not read the book that you did for this assignment, however, it does seem particularly interesting and I may consider giving it a read whenever I find the time. There is a lot of talent and passion that goes into creating a successful business as an entrepreneur, but there also is a lot of hard work that goes into it. With passion but no hard work, nothing creative ever gets manifested. Tenacity is also a super important attribute of any successful entrepreneur.

    ReplyDelete