Thursday, February 7, 2019

9A – Testing the Hypothesis, Part 2

Though most freshman and transfer students tend to have a common goal of making friends, not all use the same methods to do so, which became apparent in my recent interviews. Of the three that I interviewed that are a part of greek life, all three seemed uninterested in my app idea. Their need for friendship is is satisfied in a different way because they seek more traditional ways of meeting people. It appears that friendships are preferred to be made by some people, particularly those in big clubs or greek life, in real life because it is what they are used to and feel comfortable with. What seemed most off-putting to them was meeting strangers as friends, however the idea of dating apps did not have the same reaction. Knowing this helps me, as it means that, similarly to when dating apps where introduced, norms for social interaction can change, especially if the app is developed with sensitivity to this issue. 

Who is in: Freshman and Transfer Students not in Greek Life or big organizationsWho is not: Freshman and Transfer Students in Greek Life or big organizations
What the Need Is: To make friends (through an app)What the Need Is Not: To step outside of their comfort zone and meet "strangers"
Why the Need Exists: Current methods of making friends are insufficientAlternative explanations: The desire to make friends, while strong, involves standards and requires genuine connection and interaction

4 comments:

  1. I see where your opportunity is coming from, being in a big college like this it can be difficult to make friends. But I will have to agree with the information obtained from the interviewees because if a freshman or transfer student joins a club, they will make friends that way. Also, I noticed that the app for making friends will not get people out of their comfort zones, but I think it will either way because a person is talking to a stranger they never met before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its very interesting that people respond so much differently to mobile dating than they do to mobile friendship apps. I am a transfer student, and personally I have made friends and acquaintances in class - mostly through complaining about assignments and bemoaning tests. However, if you were to have a feature in your app that may be a gateway for students to get involved with people in on campus groups/clubs that have similar interests and hobbies (student managed - actual students post things, not admin, so a bit more laid back and social than hardcore recruiting for clubs and attendance) that may make the app appear more "friendlier" rather than talking with strangers. Out of personal experience, I know that going to various places at UF as a transfer gave me an information overload of student life and not many things I actually followed up on. I think that club leaders would also be willing to help get involved in the app - but this is just my suggestion. I personally would use your app, though I'd be a bit hesitant at first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely see your opportunity. It's hard coming to live in a completely new setting without knowing anyone around you, and it can be difficult to reach out and try to make new friends. I think human, face-to-face interaction is essential to making meaningful connections with people, which is why I see concern with an app, but I think it can be used as a great stepping stone. I think there is a base of potential customers that would be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely see how this opportunity is present on all college campuses. I think people have too many different personalities to include everyone in your audience, but it will always be a need. I know I would rather meet someone in person, at random. I get weird or awkward when your first connection with someone is over the internet. LOL maybe I'm weird. I do think it would be great for students who do want this because I do see an opportunity.

    ReplyDelete