Friday, March 22, 2019

20A – Growing Your Social Capital

1)
The first expert in my industry was a Harvard professor that is knowledgeable about technology and entertainment law. He is a professor and runs a clinic to help artists get solid record deals and proper legal representation. I would call him an expert in my industry because he knows a lot about the legal feasibility of making my product. I found him through a family member and contacted him via email. We exchanged information and discussed my goals with my app and how they can actually happen and I gave feedback on his program. Having him in my network can help me tackle legal barriers to entry in this market.

2)
The second expert on my market is the founder of an app that targets a similar base. This app owner was the former manager of Rick Ross and other well known celebrities. We met at an event through a mutual friend and exchanged information. I helped him with giving advice on marketing, as I don't believe he was taking full advantage of the opportunities he had, and he helped me with understanding the process for obtaining funding. Having him in my network will be useful as questions arise about investors and for potentially connecting me with investors.

3)
The final person I met was the hardest one to find, but I got in contact with a woman from South America who worked with the App Store in Apple. Though she no longer works there, my father helped connect us so I can gain insight and advice from her. She insisted that I provide nothing in return and she is happy to help as her and my father are good friends. Having her in my network can help me once I finish developing my app and want it released.

This experience certainly made me more confident when connecting with people who don't know me or will not benefit from helping me. This experience has not totally differed from my past networking experiences, but the first and third individuals listed where ones I contacted virtually, while I typically network face-to-face.

No comments:

Post a Comment