Monday, March 25, 2019

21A – Reading Reflection No. 2


1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?

To make people want to buy your product or service and remain loyal to you and your company, it is vital to learn how to use social media to form meaningful connections with your audience. 

2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?

This book connected and enhanced what I am learning in this class because it explained social media marketing in terms of forming meaningful connections. It taught me how to attract my target audience by using social media as a tool and optimizing usage. These tips help make a vague, but working formula of using digital platforms to get attention on you or your product/service.

3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?

I would have the exercise involve creating a social media account for anything and attempting to gain a following on it to practice using the tips in the book. This could be an Instagram for a pet or a fan account on Twitter. I would suggest having students try out a few of the guidelines and see what happens.

4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?

I felt the biggest surprise for me was that it was claimed that in order to use social media properly, you have to piss off a few people. To me, that seems wrong. I’m not an advocate of shock comedy or “clapbacks,” so I feel this is too strong a claim. This differs from my expectations because I always was a firm believer that online entertainment and attention can avoid bold, upsetting claims. I still do believe that this can be useful for some, but not for others.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the responses you put for the reflections were rather short and unclear. I read through the post, but I don’t see the title of the book you read or the author’s name so other people reading this post won’t know what book you chose. Other than that, I felt that the aspects you listed that connects to what we are learning in ENT were on point but again it would help if I knew what book you read.

    ReplyDelete